Vienna cookbooks, Australian Hot Dog

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 15 19:44:57 UTC 2002

   The exchange rate gets worse every day.  I hope I still have money when I get home.
   Another Austrian web site, from the guys who cater next to the Silver collection:  www.eurestcatering.at, and catering at eurest.at.

AUSTRALIAN HOT DOG

   Found at a little hot dog booth:

VIENNA'S GOLDEN GATE TAKE AWAY  (Yes, an English name--ed.)
HAMBURG
SCHNITZEL SEMMEL
AUSTRALISCHES HOT DOG
CHILLI HOT DOG
AUSTRALISCHES BIER
LANGER

(Well, Foster's is advertised on the shack.  But what is an Australian Hot Dog?  Is that the one with kangaroo?--ed.)

VIENNA COOKBOOKS

   More tales from Austria's Nationalbibliothek.  If I thought it might be like a public library, well, forget that.
   It's on the second floor.  There's a closed wooden door.  It says "No Visitors."  You go through that.  Then you have to be buzzed through a glass door.  You're allowed five requests, and it takes two hours.  The place closes at 3:45.  I told the library guy I wasn't coming back, so I got seven book requests.  One book didn't arrive.
   I sat down in the reading room.  There were four other people in the National Library.  FOUR!  I was told I could copy from the books.  Great!  I gave it to a woman.  She copied a book and a half, and then the copier broke down.  There would be no more copying, because _THE_ COPIER broke down.
   So, this was not a world-record library session here.  Plus, I took some time off to go to another library to do the Polka.
   The book that didn't arrive was ERSTES ISRAELITISCHES KOCHBUCH (1886) by Marie Kauders.  Is it anywhere else?
   I requested books from the 1830s and 1840s.  OED has both "sachertorte" and "linzertorte" from 1906, but "linzertorte" is in the 1830s, at least.  "Schnitzel" and "strudel" are in the 1830s as well, so I'll have to see if the Library of Congress has any of the earlier books.  The N.B. database I used was 1501-1929.  "Kochbuch" turns up 212 entries.

DIE BURGERLICHE KUCHE, ODER: NUEUSTRES OSTERREICHISCHES KOCHBUCH
by Elizabeth Stockel
Wien: F. P. Sollinger
1840

   The "Inhalt" was thoroughly copied.

Krebstrudel...167
Mandelstrudel...167
Topfenstrudel...168
Mohnstrudel...170
Tyrolerstrudel von Butterteig...170
Semmelschmarn...172
Griesschmarn...172
Brioche zu backen..212
Mandeltorte...266
Linzertorte...268
Karmelitertorte...272
Pomeranzentorte...276
Kaisertorte...277
Zwieback...301
Aepfelstrudel...407

DIE WAHRE KOCHKUNST, ODER: NEUSTES GEPRUSTES UNDE WILLSTUNDIGES PESTHER KOCHBUCH
by Joseph Eggenberger
Pesth
1835

Kaiser-Puding...196
Spanisches Brod...200
   STRUDELN.
Apfelstrudel...237
Chocoladestrudel...238
Tyrolerstrudel...244
Kaiberne Schnitzeln...313
Apfeltorte...335
Kaisertorte...353
Linzertorte...354
Mandel-Bogen...372 (Mark Mandel is all over these cookbooks--ed.)
Aneis-Kucheln...383
Mandel-Brod...394
Neapolitaner Kipfeln...399
Spanische Bretzeln...402  (Spanish pretzels?--ed.)
Zwieback, franzosischer...407
Tutti Frutti, Gefrornes...449

DIE WIENER-KOCHEN WIE SIE SENA SOLL
Thersia Ballauf, verebeligten Muck
Wien: Franz Zimmer
1834

  "Biegel, lammernes, auf hollandische Art" is on page 394.

Pg. 55:  Chocolate-Strudel.
Pg. 68:  Krebsschmarn.
Pg. 70:  Mandelstrudel.
Pg. 248:  Kohlrabi, gefullter.
Pg. 340:  Judenbratel.
Pg. 355:  Kaiserschnitzeln.
Pg. 366:  Schnitzeln.
Pg. 367:  Speis.
Pg. 548:  Kaiser-Torte.
Pg. 550:  Linzer-Torte.
Pg. 576:  Bretzeln von Mandeln.
Pg. 577:  Brtezeln von Zucker.
Pg. 587:  Mandel-Brot.

NUESTES UNIVERSAL, ODER: GROSSES WIENER-KOCHBUCH
by Anna Dorn
Wien: Franz Zendler
1834 (There are earlier editions of Anna Dorn's cookbook--ed.)

Pg. 139:  Sago-Pudding.
Pg. 148:  Krebsstrudel.
Pg. 149:  Strudel, mit Aepfel gefullt.
Pg. 159:  Judenbraten.
Pg. 230:  Kalberne Schnitzel.
Pg. 289:  Linzer-Torte.
Pg. 306:  Pfannkuchen.
Pg. 344:  Bavaroise.
Pg. 446:  Bogel.  (Probably not a bagel--ed.)

ALLGEMEIN BEWAHRTES WIENER KOCHBUCH
by F. G. Zenfer
Wien: Carl Gerolb
1844

Pg. 200:  Lammernes Biegel.
(Listed under "Uchter Ubscnitt.  Bon den Braten."--ed.)

Pg. 234:  Aepfelstrudel.
Pg. 280:  Linzer Torte.
Pg. 297:  Italienischer Salat.
Pg. 357:  Kaiserbrot.