apizza; pie

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 17 01:58:22 UTC 2002

Well, now we're getting some conflicting information (the idea that
Middletown doesn't call its pizzas "apizza" because it was settled by
Sicilians, unlike the Neapolitans, or rather the provinicial
Campanians, who settled New Haven and imported their "apizza"
spelling and pronunciation, vs. the claim below that Sicilians would
do it too.).  But the real question I'd have, following Doug Wilson,
is whether it really makes sense to HAVE a definite article in the
name of pizza shops, as in "Pepe's Apizza", "Sally's Apizza", "Olde
World Apizza", and so on.   What you get elsewhere is not "X's La
Pizza" but "X's Pizza", with no article at all.  Similarly in French
you'd get "Jeanne's Crepes", not "Jeanne's les Crepes".  So it's not
the FORM but the PRESENCE of the article that I (and Doug) find
puzzling.

larry