Sprezzatura

Thu Jul 18 02:03:51 UTC 2002

In a message dated 7/17/2002 5:26:11 PM, Bapopik at AOL.COM writes:

<< SPREZZATURA--From USA TODAY international, 17 July 2002, pg. 7B, col. 3:

   While reading _The New York TImes_ a couple of Sundays ago, I came upon a
word I'd never seen before.  Sprezzatura.  I asked my partner, Jack, if he
knew what it meant.  He didn't, and he reads books with hard covers.  I
looked in the dictionary.  (THE dictionary?--ed.)  It wasn't there, so I went
online, typed in the word, hit "search" and up it popped.

   You probably already know this, but it's from the Italian High Renaissance
and describes the attributes of a man who is both a graceful performer and a
superficial manipulator.  Because the word was used to describe two young men
clawing their way up the ladder of New York society on the arm of Martha
Stweart, it was the perfect fit. >>

Not quite right. See below.