hawk/hock

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 18 16:37:56 UTC 2002

In a message dated 7/18/02 12:21:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, caman at AMLAW.COM
writes:

> pop or soda?

Soda, thank you.  Although I went to college at Michigan State, apparently a
"pop" area (a New Yorker asked for "soda in cans" and was given baking soda),
I associated mostly with out-of-state students and was never exposed to
massive amounts of pop.

For me, sodium carbonate is /warshing soda/.

Do dyed-in-the-rayon pop speakers say "diet pop" or "diet soda"?

Consider the following:
"nitrate of soda" is sodium nitrate (Chile saltpeter, "Chili" saltpeter)
"bicarbonate of soda" is sodium bicarbonate.
Therefore, "chloride of soda" should be sodium choride (table salt), should
it not?  No, it's sodium hypochlorite (bleaching powder).

       - Jim Landau