Okroshka

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 18 20:43:08 UTC 2002

  On to Baba Yar and then a night train to Odessa tomorrow.
  My tour guide said "lying policemen," then said, to avoid confusion, "laying policeman"...He wrote the currency name that way on my notes...Yes, I should have said that matrushkas are egg-shaped dolls.  They are not eggs.  Many have American designs, such as George Bush, Bill Clinton, and even former NBA player Dennis Rodman.
   I can't read the WHAT'S ON web site address.  It's on the cover of each issue, but a Ukrainian girl's body parts get in the way.  Maybe it's: www.whatson-kyiv.com.
   From WHAT'S ON, 19 July-22 August 2002, pg. 28, col. 2:

   In particular they have all the Ukrainian classics:  Borsch, Okroshka and Ukra fish soup.

(OED doesn't have the classic "Okroshka"?--ed.)