hawk/hock

Thu Jul 18 23:02:07 UTC 2002

Surely not. The /a/ of "warm" is massively influenced by the
preceding /w/. That the /a/ of "harm" would be more like it (than
that of "hot") is phonetically unlikely. The following /r/ may also
impose features on /a/ which make it sound a bit like those preceded
by /w/.

dInIs  (a "warsh" Louisville speaker with with a /a/ in /warsh/ like
the /a/ in /warm/)

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics