Execution viewed as wedding

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 19 19:08:49 UTC 2002

At 1:38 PM -0500 7/19/02, Gerald Cohen wrote:

>     If anyone familiar with other cultures has more examples of this
>execution-as-wedding view, I'd be grateful to hear of them.

I don't know much about other cultures, but could there be a
connection with the old factoid (I don't know if it's actually true)
that upon being hanged, men get (and retain post-mortem) rather
impressive erections?  There are various fabliaux based on this
assumption as well.  But that would certainly reinforce the hanging =
wedding connection.

larry