Kregg vs. Craig

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 19 23:36:50 UTC 2002

At 5:37 PM -0500 7/19/02, Gordon, Matthew J. wrote:
>I think this one might be lexical. I'm pretty sure I have a lax
>vowel in Craig but definitely tense in 'vague' and 'Hague'.  Maybe
>Craig is influenced by Greg. (Not that there's anything wrong with
>that.)

Heh, heh.
In the context I brought up (the murderee whose name was Craig as in
[krEg]) this may be a factor, as his full name was Gregory Craig.
For me, it would still and evermore be tense in the latter.  Would
you distinguish Haig (as in the General who would be "in charge here"
after Reagan was shot) from the Hague?  I suppose the spelling may be
a factor for me--I'd distinguish an orthographic Pague/Paig as tense
(without ever having heard them pronounced) from the lax Peg.