The city so nice they named it twice

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Sun Jul 21 13:44:31 UTC 2002

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Dan Goodman wrote:

#I recall, from Cities in Flight, a substance called
#polybathroomflourine because of its hexagonal structure.  [For those
               uo

#who don't get the reference -- hexagonal bathroom tiles used to be
#very common, at least in New York City.)   I suspect there are other
#wisecracks which I missed.

An explosive with the interesting property of blasting out in a plane,
so that it could effectively cut through something without causing
significant damage on either side of the cut. To me, the description of
the molecular structure and the name immediately evoked the bathrooms in
my grandparents' apartment, where I lived for much of my childhood.

-- Mark A. Mandel