Picnic

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Sun Jul 21 23:51:49 UTC 2002

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Rick H Kennerly wrote:

        [Mark Mandel]
#|o| Oh, I'm still upset about the political popularity of false etymology,
#
#But we don't know that for sure either, at least not in this case.  We've
#nailed down the beginning and the end point of this picnic issue, but we
#don't know what's in the middle.  A regionalism?  Black speak too painful
#for whites to acknowledge?  We don't know or we don't want to know?  Just
#because it's not mainstream doesn't mean that it doesn't have currency in
#some circles.

I'm not sure what you're saying that we don't know. We do know that some
people believe this etymythology. I thought I had seen a statement in
this thread that someone who was informed of its falsehood replied that
its truth or falsehood was irrelevant to him, as the word was offensive;
if I remember wrong, please correct me. What should I not be upset
about?

-- Mark A. Mandel