Picnic

Mon Jul 22 14:38:46 UTC 2002

How many practices have to accompany another (designated by a "word")
for the latter to gain connotations and, as time marches on,
denotations? What does "housewife" mean (today), and, in spite of our
knowledge of the origin of its morphs (way back), wouldn't we want to
say that a part of its more recent meaning and use history (its
"complete etymology," I would say) has to do with practices,
associations, connotations and the like? A divorce of word history
and social history will surely set us back.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics