"I loves me some X"

Brooke Pierce brookepierce at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Jul 23 05:27:49 UTC 2002

I'm not sure to what extent "I loves me some" has been discussed here before
(I'm new to the list), but for what it's worth:

In my years living in Kentucky and Texas, I never heard the phrase.  Then I
moved to New York City about 4 years ago and soon started noticing it being
used almost exclusively by African-Americans.  I figured it had started as a
phrase unique to urban black culture, but now I'm hearing it more and more
from white kids (teens and college students, mostly) from all different
classes, backgrounds, and levels of education.

At first they seemed to be using it ironically, but not so much anymore.  I
think the educated kids still feel obligated to say it in a playful tone at
least, but it's said much more matter-of-factly than other street slang
phrases that they have picked up.

That's not to say that I hear "I loves me some X" often, but enough that I
even find myself saying it now and again.

Brooke Pierce

---------