LSA/ACLS language books

Bethany K. Dumas dumasb at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Tue Jul 23 19:30:29 UTC 2002

The Classics Department, my neighbors here on the 11th floor of McClung
Tower, are having a book giveaway today. I picked up some Greek texts,
including a volume called _Spoken Greek_ (Henry Holt, 1945). The verso of
the title page contains a statement that "The Armed Forces edition of this
book was published by the Linguistic Society of America and the Intensive
Language Program of the American Council of Learned Societies." (The
copyright is 1945, Linguistic Society of America).

This is part of the history of LSA that I was not familiar with. Were all
the WWII Armed Forces language books published by LSA/ACLS?

Bethany