"I loves me some X" redux

Drew Danielson andrew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Tue Jul 23 20:01:42 UTC 2002

Laurence Horn wrote:

> ===========
> Leticia is both southern (black) and lower-class, and I'd guess that
> a number of the postings are from southerners, but I have no idea
> about class, really, especially for Grace, that peeing cat.  I must
> say, the trailer park entry and the one about Old Cletus are pretty
> suggestive (at least of how this construction is conceptualized).
> The non-reflexive in this position (especially with single-object
> verbs like "love") is much more frequent in southern speech, although
> in first person it's not quite as much of a diagnostic as it would be
> in third person.  I include them here for possible interest.  (I just
> went with the standard agreement and didn't check on "loves me some",
> but I'll be happy to.)
>
> --Larry

A couple of observations:

Most of the occurences I hear/see of this phenom seem to me to be
affected, self-conscious performance.  It seems to have a (primarily)
humorous & (secondarily) mildly intensive affect when spoken by people
not of the social-regional background that it seems to be attributed to
(which people account for a vast majority of my experience with it).  I
have heard this from college students from such far-flung places as El
Lay, Lon Guyland, and Brazil.  In these instances it appears to me to be
some sort of fad speech.  My earliest recollection of hearing this from
a young, middle-class, non-southerner goes back to at least 1996.

"Up" is often included in the construction - "I('m gonna) [verb] me UP
some [direct object]."  As in, "I loves me up some Dave Matthews Band,"
and, "I'm gonna eat me up some ice cream."