"X redux"

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 25 19:44:06 UTC 2002

Mai Kuha said:
>Reading Jesse's "'I loves me some X' redux", I've realized I don't know what
>"redux" means. In the Vegetarian Times, "X redux" seems to mean "reduced-fat
>X", in the ADS-L archive it's almost always used in a way that seems to mean
>"a brief comment on X", and a quick google suggests that elsewhere on the
>web it often means something like "summary of X". So it refers to
>"reduction" of all kinds, is that it? Or maybe it's what a person does if
>bullets are still flying after ducking the first time.

Actually, I think of it as meaning "revisited". I'm sure this
understanding was based on a contextual inference and not a
dictionary consultation.

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963