"X redux"

Fri Jul 26 03:36:27 UTC 2002

On 7/25/02 18:55, "Duane Campbell" <dcamp911 at JUNO.COM> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:51:49 -0400 Jesse Sheidlower <jester at PANIX.COM>
> writes:
>
>> Various dictionaries do include this, with definitions like
>> "(used postpositively) brought back, revisited, returned,"
>> etc., which is certainly how I intended it. I believe it was
>> originally in titles, e.g. Trollope's _Phineas Redux,_ more
>> recently Updike's _Rabbit Redux_ and so forth.
>
> It is also a word much favored by Newsweek.

It's been a pet word of magazine writers for about a decade, along with the
devices such as "Mr. So-and-so needed a machin-truc and didn't know where to
turn. Enter xyz." "Mrs. So-and-so said she has 'interests' (read 'cabana
boys') which occupy her while her husband is away." Call it "coy world
play."