Machinima

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jul 27 03:23:51 UTC 2002

   Greetings from New York City.

MACHINIMA

   Not in the revised OED.
   I thought that I had posted something like this.  From the INTERNATIONAL
HERALD TRIBUNE, 26 July 2002, pg. 13, col. 2:

   Hancock, 24, is among the first practitioners of machinima (pronounced
ma-SHIN-i-ma), a form of digital filmmaking that piggybacks on the slick
graphics that are easily available from computer games and uses them to
produce animated movies quickly and cheaply.  Machinima movies, which range
from short comedies to science-fiction epics, are produced entirely on
computers, eliminating the need to buy costly equipment, rent locations or
hire actors.  The films are then distributed free over the Internet.

EDITORS?  WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING EDITORS!
or
DOES ANYBODY READ THIS STUFF?

   From the WALL STREET JOURNAL EUROPE, July 26-28, 2002, pg. M1, col. 3:

   Mr. Kindelberger, a retired economist, wrote hte 1978 economics classic
"Manias, Panics, and Crashes: A History of Financial Crises."  The book,
required reading for many Wall Street trainees and students of economic
history, documents four centuries of boom-and-bust cycles.  It ranges from a
fleeting bubble in the market for Dutch tulips in 1636, to rampant
speculation and subsequent collapse in railoroad shares in 1847 and 1857, to
the Depression in the 1930s, to the rise and fall of Japan's property market
in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

(A 1978 book foretold of Japan's property market in the early 1990s?...A
paragraph later, we are told that there was a 1996 edition--ed.)