honey do

Rick H Kennerly Rick at MOUSEHERDER.COM
Sat Jul 27 20:24:43 UTC 2002

|o| sure it was used much earlier than 1990, though I have no
|o| cites. If I run

Must.  I grew up during in the 50s and remember during the melon season
hearing "I've got honeydews on my Honey, do" from the adults in our farming
community (rhythm & intonation echoes Frost's "and miles to go before I
sleep") with about the same meaning, used mainly as a means of escaping an
invitation to sit a spell during melon harvest season.  I also recall an
uncle who delivered sacks of his garden melons (as well as zukes & cucks) to
neighbors excusing himself with the funny, "Well, gotta go. More honeydews
on my honey do to do, too, toodahloo" as well as Honey Do used to
distinguish household chores from farm chores.  Of course, honey do and
honey dew could be switched in and out as necessary.

I seem to vaguely recall a novelty song that was popular back then where the
lyrics played on honey do, perhaps a Phil Harris piece along the lines of
Dark Town Poker Club and That's What I Like About the South.

rhk