honey do

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Sun Jul 28 04:37:20 UTC 2002

A little earlier:  "Contests ranged from the men's and women's 25-meter free-style swim to the "Honey-Do Hustle" track event, in which couples shuffled down a line double-quick with a slippery balloon sandwiched between them."  Washington Post, July 8, 1984.

John Baker

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Fred Shapiro [mailto:fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU]
	Sent: Sat 7/27/2002 10:01 PM
	To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
	Subject: Re: honey do

	On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

	> This is in HDAS, defined as "a household chore. _Joc._", with
	> a first citation from 1990, almost certainly too late, as Fred
	> or Barry or someone will surely let me know shortly.

	Here's an antedating:

	1986 _Wash. Post_ 23 Dec. [no pagination given] (Dow Jones)  Ross said he
	was eager to return to work. "I'm kind of looking forward to it," he said.
	"I've had some free time. I did a lot of 'honey-dos' . . . You know, 'Honey,
	do this' and 'Honey, do that.' "

	Fred Shapiro

	Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
	  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,