Odessa and "Pogrom"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 28 08:49:17 UTC 2002

_POGROMS._  The Russian word _pogrom_, which literally means "disturbance" or
"riot," has in the course of time come to denote all violent attacks directed
against Jews in particular.
   Up to 1881 the only pogroms were three in Odessa (1821, 1859 and 1871) and
a minor one in Akkerman in 1862.  After 1881, however, they became a
conti9nual menace and almost a "normal" phenomenon of Jewish life in Russia;
as time went on they became increasingly cruel in character.  From April to
June, 1881, a series of pogroms broke out in larger and smaller places in
southern and southwestern Russia; in the other parts of the empire there was
only one, at Warsaw in December.
--THE UNIVERSAL JEWISH ENCYCLOPEDIA, Ktav Publishing House, Inc., NY, vol. 8,
pg. 559 (1969).

   When I went to the Odessa synagogue (as I stated), it had no information
at all to educate me about the history of Jews in Odessa or in the Ukraine.
   OED has 1882 for "pogrom," then 1905.  Merriam-Webster uses a 1903 date.
Clearly, I should come up with something in 1881, if not earlier.
   Does the full text of the NEW YORK TIMES have anything?  The Making of
America database (Cornell) has "Pogromnia" in the November 1877 HARPER'S NEW
MONTHLY MAGAZINE, pg. 810.  It's the Russian name of a volcano in Alaska.
The HARPER'S WEEKLY full text database also doesn't have anything.
   I went to request Joachim Tarnopol's NOTICES HISTORIQUES ET
CARACTERISTIQUES SUR LES ISRAELITES D'ODESS (1855), but it was curiously
missing.  NYPL is the ONLY library that has it (if it does have it).  I'll
have to check out Tarnopol's 1868 book on Russian Jews, which the NYPL has on
microfilm.
   THE JEWS OF ODESSA: A CULTURAL HISTORY, 1794-1881 (Stanford University
Press, 1985) by Steven J. Zipperstein has a fine bibliography (Zipperstein
relied heavily on the "missing" Tarnopol book), but it's not much of a book
itself.  Jewish food is hardly described.  Jewish music is hardly described.
"Pogrom" is described, but not well enough to provide clear citations for the
word (which is not even present in the Glossary on pages 157-158).
   I'm going through some of the Zipperstein bibliography's books, but in the
meantime, if anybody has a "pogrom," please buzz in.