Stick to Business, Pozhalsta

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 29 16:58:48 UTC 2002

At 12:25 PM -0400 7/29/02, Mark A Mandel wrote:
>On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
>
>#In a message dated 7/29/2002 10:42:21 AM, JJJRLandau at AOL.COM writes:
>#
>#<< PS.  We have to keep Mssrs. Butters and Popik apart.  "Butters" is
>#obviously
>#milchig.  "Popik" is a variant spelling of the Yiddish word "pupik"
>#("giblets") and hence is fleischig. >>
>#
>#I love this! Thanks so much for making this all seem the trifle that it is. A
>#little judicious humor nearly always puts things in perspective. (My memory,
>#though, is that PUPEK means something quite different from 'giblets', though
>
>Navel.

We used it to describe a little edible thing on a broiled (or
otherwise cooked) chicken.  I'm sure it wasn't a belly button, but it
wasn't giblets either (those we removed before cooking and wouldn't
have eaten anyway).  Pupik/Pupek is definitely 'belly button, navel'
in Yiddish (pupik oranges, anyone?), but at least in our family there
seems to have been this metaphorical extension.  Anyone else recall
anything similar?

larry