headline humor source

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Jul 29 20:04:29 UTC 2002

Here's another example. There's a Misouri town named Clever, and in
the 1980s the police chief there did something that got him arrested.
My local newspaper (Rolla Daily News) carried the story with the
headline: "Clever Police Chief Arrested."
    I'm sure there was no humor intended, but I couldn't help
thinking: If he was so clever, what was he doing getting arrested?

Gerald Cohen