Kosher restaurant, Kosher wine, Kosher food, Kosher supper (1881)

Philip Trauring philip at CS.BRANDEIS.EDU
Tue Jul 30 05:13:46 UTC 2002

Some references for 'kosher':

An 1874 article in The Galaxy on 'The Jewish Dietary System':
http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/moa-cgi?notisid=ACB8727-0018-88

An 1897 article in Harpers:
http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/sgml/moa-idx?notisid=ABK4014-0094-5&type=boolean&slice=1&&&q1=kosher&op2=And&op3=And&year1=1815&year2=1926&rgn=Same%20page&searchSummary=8%20matching%20%20journal%20articles&size=50&layer=third&coll=serial1

Also, although it follows in medieval antisemitic tradition (and the
magazine itself notes this and says that a rebuttal will be made in
the next issue), this article in The Century by Zenaide Ragozin in
1882:

http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/sgml/moa-idx?notisid=ABP2287-0023-273

is a discussion of Russian Jews, which includes mention of the
pogroms (but does not use that word as far as I can tell) and on page
913, references 'kosher'.

The rebuttal article in the next issue, also published in 1882 is
available here:

http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/sgml/moa-idx?notisid=ABP2287-0024-9

Note that a line from the Ragozin article is cited in The Century
Dictionary, published in 1889, for the word 'kosher'. An online image
is available at:

http://216.156.253.178/cgi-bin/nph-cent2jpg?volno=04&page=3311

Philip Trauring