Lumps of Delight (1842); Irish Stew (1812?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 6 00:45:51 UTC 2002

LUMPS OF DELIGHT

A NARRATIVE OF TRAVELS TO VIENNA, COMNSTANTINOPLE, ATHENS, NAPLES &c.
by the Marchioness of Londonberry
London: Henry Colburn
1842

Pg. 103:  ...the ladies, who, certainly in their _feridjee_, or folding
mantle, and their _yasmac_, or veil, which covers all but the yes, look more
or less alike.
(OED has 1844 for "yashmack"--ed.)

Pg. 119:  Hash-pilaff, rice, chickens, keebabs (morsels of roasted meat)--in
short, not less than twenty dishes followed...

Pg. 150:  Presents are sent of baskets of confectionary, called "lumps of
delight," which I never had the courage to taste; neither could I, during my
stay in Constantinople, summon resolution to try a Turkish bath, which, from
the description I had of it, seems by no means inviting.
(OED has 1870 for "lumps of delight," now called "Turkish delight."  I had
posted an 1860 cite--ed.)

A JO)URNEY THROUGH PERSIA, ARMENIA, AND ASIA MINOR, TO CONSTANTINOPLE, IN THE
YEARS 1808 and 1809
by James Justinian Morier
Philadelphia: Published by M. Carey, and Wells and Lilly, Boston
1816

Pg. 25:  A Persian visit, when the guest is a distinguished personage,
generally consists of three acts:...and sweet coffee (so called from its
being a composition of rose-water and sugar)...

Pg. 84:  The pillau succeeded, three of which were placed before each two
guests; one of plain rice called chillo, one made of mutton with raisins and
almonds, the other of fowl, with rich spices and plumbs.

Pg. 316:  The principal dishes were the yakne, which resembles our Irish
stew; the dolmah, meat-balls enclosed in vine-leaves; the kabob, which is
roast meat; the chorbah, or soup; the baklavah, a cake of honey, paste, and
other sweet ingredients; the lokmah, a light paste puff; and the pillau...
(OED has 1814 for "Irish stew."  However, this covers 1808-1809, and the
Library of Congress has an 1812 edition of this book.  I'm sure "Irish stew"
is also there--ed.)