Yurt, Baidar (1774); Angora (1784)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 6 23:46:01 UTC 2002

YURT, BAIDAR

AN ACCOUNT OF THE NEW NORTHERN ARCHIPELAGO, LATELY DISCOVERED BY THE RUSSIANS
by Mr. J. von Staehlin
London: C. Heydinger
1774

   This was in German in 1768, so the original manuscript is older.  OED has
its first "suslik" from this book--the only citation used.  It's about a
40-page book.  How someone missed about 20 "jurt" cites is beyond me.
    This is one of the earliest books for Alaska.  Many of the terms here are
not in OED.

Pg. 24:  The berries that grow on the island, though very sparingly, are the
common _Schichsa_ and _Golubel_.  On the contrary, the roots for food,
namely, the _Kutarnick_, and the red root, grow in such quantities, as to
afford a plentiful provision for the inhabitants.
(Terms are not in the OED...I KNEW Alaska had the common shiksa--ed.)

Pg. 25:
(a) _Baidars_ are large boats, made of whales ribs, bound together with
hoops, and covered over with the skins of sea-dogs, sea-cows, and other sea
animals.
(OED has 1834 for "bidarka"--ed.)

Pg. 27:  The island produces plenty of vegetab le food; such as the
_Kutarnik_, the red root, and the _Sarana_.
(OED?--ed.)

Pg. 28:  The inhabitants on the low lands have green huts, which they call
_Jurts_, where they constantly live.
(I had posted a 1780 "yurt."  OED's first cite is 1784, but it's from Cook's
voyage of 1779.  The next cite is 1780.  Again, this is from 1774 in English,
1768 in German--ed.)

Pg. 31:  ...several other species, known only in these waters, and called
_Kirschutsch_, _Chaiko_, _Pestraiki_, _Postuschina_, &c.
(OED?--ed.)

Pg. 33:  They live in _Jurts_ or cellars under ground...
(One of many other "jurts" here.  But why "under" ground?  I stayed in a yurt
hut "above" ground--ed.)

ANGORA (continued)

THE PRESENT STATE OF THE OTTOMAN EMPIRE
translated from the French manuscript of Elias Habesci
London: R. Baldwin
1784

   There's a word glossary at the beginning of the book, but I didn't see any
antedates in "fetvah" and "medresse" and "kiosc" and "hamam" and others.  No
food terms were in the glossary, and very few were in the book.

Pg. 425:  The camlets are made at  _Angora_, in _Natolia_, a country which
abounds in fine wool...

Pg. 430:  The principal article taken by the Dutch in return is _Angora_
goats hair.