potlatch (was Re: dubious usages}

Wendalyn Nichols wendalyn at NYC.RR.COM
Fri Jun 7 18:25:29 UTC 2002

Potlatches were (and in the odd case, still are) a custom of northwest
coastal tribes, stretching from Puget Sound and the Kitsap Peninsula all
the way up the coast of British Columbia to the entire Gulf Coast of lower
Alaska, including areas where both Juneau and Anchorage are today. The
Tlingit nation in particular had a huge geographic range and many
sub-tribes. Tribes would come from many miles inland to gigantic
potlatches, but there were also many smaller (relatively speaking, anyway)
local potlatches. Puget Sound actually lies toward the southern end of the
geographic range of the tribes that shared the potlatch culture, with the
Columbia River marking the more-or-less official furthest southern
boundary. Totem poles with clan histories were raised at potlatches, and
these meetings were so significant that the government saw them as a threat
and banned them.

--Wendalyn Nichols, northwest born and bred