Asser Levy (-1681), NYC's first kosher butcher

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 11 08:19:44 UTC 2002

ASSER LEVY (-1681), FIRST KOSHER BUTCHER

   Again, I haven't seen the OXFORD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD's entry on
"kosher."  I could be duplicating what's already there--which I suppose is
good.
   Various web sites list New York's (New Amsterdam's) Asser Levy as
America's first kosher butcher.  He opened up shop November 15, 1660, or
October 15, 1660, or in 1655 (these web sites vary).
   What evidence is there of this, when our first record for the word
"kosher" is 200 years later?
   Hot dog, I've got to solve this.  My etymology serves a higher authority.

BAT MITZVAH

   I'll look in the publications:

AMERICAN HEBREW
B'NAI B'RITH MAGAZINE
THE YOUNG JUDAEAN
NEWS LETTER (National Council of Jewish Women, 1933-1939)
COUNCIL WOMAN (1940-1978)
DER IDISHER FROYEN ZSHURNAL (Jewish Women's Home Journal, 1922-1923)

   Bat Mitzvah and bagels is all I ask.  Plus latkes and rugelach.