Serrancified

Paul McFedries lists at MCFEDRIES.COM
Tue Jun 11 13:20:12 UTC 2002

My grandmother-in-law (born and raised in Southern Ontario) often says "my
sufficiency is suffonsified." I thought perhaps she was just mis-remembering
"serrancified" (or whatever), but I found some similar variations:

suffonsified:
http://alongpoetryroad.com/2sides2acoin.html

suffancified:
http://books.dreambook.com/rootslady/outhouse.html

suffulsified:
http://www.citadel.edu/library/knob_m.htm

Here's something from the December 14, 1997 edition of the Chattanooga Free
Press:

A couple of weeks ago, someone commented on the impolite refusal of more
food, "I'm stuffed." Two readers were instructed as to alternative
would be a super-abundancy." (The second contains a word we cannot find, but
may have been a made-up family word.) "My sufficiency is ?surrensified?;
anything more would be obnoxious to my fastidious taste."

None of this helps with the origins, but at least you know the phrase has
had a reasonably good career.

Paul