Why

Mon Jun 17 12:17:21 UTC 2002

arnold,

dInIs also notes that "wharf" and "Whorf" are pretty clearly words
learned after his vernacular was well-entrenched, and he probably
first heard these words pronounced by flatlander conflaters.

This qausi-developmental phoneme classification is clearest in my
speech as regards the cot-caught distinction (which I have
well-preserved) when it comes to classifying those two phonemes,
especially before /g/. All my childhood words (fog, hog, dog, frog,
log, etc...) have the vowel of "caught"; later-learned words are
often invariably that of "cot": togs, cog, clog, bog, jog, etc... . I
seem to have learned metaphoric (verbal) "bog" before the literal
noun. Therefore, I have a variable "bog down" (=become mired in) with
both vowels - but now early-morning introspection begins to fail me.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics