Ted Turner removes all doubt; Hummus (1873) and Syrian Food

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 18 16:58:26 UTC 2002

First, a personal political note:  I spend a lot of my time arguing
pro-Israeli positions against my father-in-law, who is a strong
Palestinian sympathizer.  But, in the face of Barry's comments about Ted
Turner, I feel I have to speak up and say that I believe there is some
truth, perhaps considerable truth, in what Ted Turner says (not about the
hijackers being brave, which, although true in some literal sense, is a
really stupid comment, but about terror being bilateral).

As for the quotation, "It is better to stay silent and have people think
you a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt," this is a
proverb or pseudo-Lincolnism.  The earliest citation for it in the files
of the Yale Dictionary of Quotations is dated 1931; in the 1931 occurrence
it is attributed to Lincoln.  There is no evidence of Lincoln actually
having said this.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,