Cup of Joe

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Jun 19 00:39:03 UTC 2002

It's plausible. RHHDAS records the term from 1930 and it is a term used
particularly in the Navy. The earliest cites in both the OED and RHHDAS are
US Navy/Marine Corps usages. Barry Popik might have an antedating of these
sources.

The Daniels explanation reeks of urban legend, but that doesn't mean it
isn't true. I don't know of any evidence to contradict it.

RHHDAS includes a suggestion that it may be from the 1860 Stephen Foster
song "Old Black Joe," an etymology suggested by another naval source. The
Foster song, however, doesn't have anything to do with coffee. This one
sounds like even more of a stretch, although not as cutesy as the Daniels
suggestion.