-og words

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Wed Jun 19 01:29:21 UTC 2002

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Charles Wells wrote:

#I say "dog" with the caught vowel and all other -og words with the cob
#vowel (not distinguished in my Atlanta-based dialect from the a in father).

Exactly the same for me. My parents were NYC-born, and I grew up
Westchester and then NYC.

I have picked up an occasional "caught" pronunciation of "frog", which
as far as I can tell I use only in songs and rhymes where it rhymes with
"dog" and in what might be broadly called "dialect" in telling jokes and
stories.

-- Mark A. Mandel