-og words

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Wed Jun 19 15:08:40 UTC 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Laurence Horn wrote:

#At 9:29 PM -0400 6/18/02, Mark A Mandel wrote:
#>
#>I have picked up an occasional "caught" pronunciation of "frog", which
#>as far as I can tell I use only in songs and rhymes where it rhymes with
#>"dog" and in what might be broadly called "dialect" in telling jokes and
#>stories.
#>
#Ditto on everything except the frog, which never rhymes with "dog"
#for me.  And I suppose nothing else does; funny, I never thought of
#"dog" as an "orange" or "silver" word, but I guess it is (for me).

Yesterday on the highway, contemplating the motorcycle in front of me
whose license plate holder read
        [name of town] H-D
 I realized that I also have developed a "caught" pronunciation of
"hog", limited to the same uses as that of "frog" plus the meaning 'big
motorcycle, especially a Harley".

-- Mark A. Mandel