Newsletter of the American Dialect Society

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Wed Jun 19 17:09:48 UTC 2002

If you go to the ADS website
www.americandialect.org
you will find in pdf form the latest issue of our newsletter, vol. 34, no. 2,
dated May 2002 but just now finished.

It's also at the printer and will be sent by old-fashioned mail to ADS
members next week, for convenient reference even when your computer is turned
off.

Meanwhile, though, you can take a look at the electronic version for:
- programs for our regional meetings this fall
- last call for papers for our Annual Meeting in Atlanta in January (deadline
Friday, Aug. 16)
- program for our sessions at MLA
- report of a meeting on Pittsburgh dialects
- report of our delegate to the American Council of Learned Societies
- new books by ADS members
- and especially, some details about Volume IV of the Dictionary of American
Regional English, which will be published this fall. and there is a CONTEST:
25 very obscure regional words from that volume to match with their
definitions. The first one to send in all the correct answers will get a free
copy of that book! So don't delay, look at it today!

- Allan Metcalf