Stockpot (1835); Taboulah (1939); Alaska & more

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jun 21 00:20:13 UTC 2002

STOCKPOT

   Today's NEW YORK POST front page talks about "Martha's $63 Million
Stockpot."  Sixty-three million dollars is a good thing!
   "Stockpot" is not mentioned in the all-inclusive and scholarly
ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK (1999) by John Mariani.
   Merriam-Webster has "stockpot" from 1853.  OED has "stockpot" from 1845
and 1853.  OED says "stock pot" is a pot of "soup stock."  However, OED says
that "soup stock" was coined by Charles Dickens in 1861!
   This stuff is really bad.
   The free, online Making of America database (Cornell) has NORTH AMERICAN
REVIEW, April 1835, pg. 373:

   ...but when I declare, that it (mineral water at Wiesbaden--ed.) exactly
resembles very hot chicken broth, I only say, respecting it; and I certainly
do wonder why the common people should be at the inconvenience of making bad
soup, when they can get much better from nature's great stock-pot, the
_Koch-brunnen_ of Wiesbaden.

TABOULAH

   OED and M-W have 1955 for "tabbouleh."  I had cited a 1942 book by Freya
Stark, that contains her 1928 journal.  This is another cite.  I
unfortunately didn't see "falafel" here.

AN OBSERVER IN PALESTINE
by Winifred Lowe Fox
New York: Fleming H. Revell Co.
1939

Pg. 44:  A cook was serving_ruzz mufelfel_ (boiled rice) to two men...

Pg. 66:  Says Robert Gessner in his book, _Some of My Best Friends Are Jews_
(Farrar & Rinehart)...

Pg. 142:  This (sherbet and wine--ed.) we will drink widt de _taboulah_ our
ladies make ready very soon," said the interpreter.

Pg. 144:  Women of the party slipped away and prepared the _taboulah_.  I
helped them chop parsley, lettuce, celery, onions, green peppers and lemon
pulp; over this they poured lemon juice and olive oil. (...) We dipped tender
lettuce and grape leaves into the mixture according to Arabic style.

Pg. 169:  Regardless of the popularity of _lebanimo_ (meaning a mixture of
kid or goat meat boiled with _leban_ and poured over cooked rice, chopped
onions, mint, and parsley), Jews and Moslems will not eat it because Mosaic
law forbids...