Klezmer (M-W 1949, OED no entry?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jun 21 05:50:31 UTC 2002

   With that "Bas Mitzvah" thing, I told the RRC rabbi to send any other Jewish etymologies.  I decided see OED's "klezmer," an Jewish instrument surely as old as the bagel.  OED has no entry.  I tried "klez*".  It's not there!  THIS IS HORRIBLE!
   Merriam-Webster has 1949 for "klezmer."
   Is anything in the OED files?  ANYTHING at all??
   GLIMPSES OF A STRANGE WORLD (1908) by H. S. Stollnitz has a chapter "Sheka Klezmer," and I'll read it on Saturday.

(I haven't yet checked MOA.)