Shickzah, Jehudah, Meshumad (1872); Nebbish (1907)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jun 23 00:46:27 UTC 2002

SCHICKZAH, JEHUDAH, MESHUMAD

MIRIAM ROSENBAUM: A STORY OF JEWISH LIFE
by Rev. Dr. Edersheim (Alfred Edersheim, 1825-1889--ed.)
Boston: Henry Hoyt
1872

   I had about ten minutes to read through this book and made some quick
notes, mostly based on the footnoted terms.

Pg. 24:  ...Yom Kippur*...
*Day of Atonement.

Pg. 16:  ...Goj.*
*A gentile.

Pg. 16:  ...Poshe Yisroel.*
*An apostate in Israel.

Pg. 16:  ...Meshumad.*
*An apostate, literally, "One destroyed."
(The revised OED has 1892--Zangwill, of course--for "meshummad."  I'll be in
Alaska, but _anyone_ can request this book at the library for this full
cite--ed.)

Pg. 18:  ...Goyim*...
*Gentiles.

Pg. 18:  ...kerian*...
*Rending of garments in mourning for the dead.

Pg. 39: ...killah*...
*The Jewish congregation--properly, _Kehillah_.

Pg. 56: ..._havdalah_*...
*The separation between the Sabbath and the working week.

Pg. 57:  You forget even the incongruous presence of the _gojah_*...
*The Gentile servant...
(Shabbos-goye--ed.)

Pg. 77:  ...tallith*...
*The cloth with fringes, worn during prayer.

Pg. 78:  "Levi, is the shickzah* shikkor?**"" remonstrated Mrs. Rosenbaum.
(Is the creature drunk?)
*Shekez literally means abomination, and is in Scripture applied to unclean
fish, birfs, and other beasts.  It is an expression of contempt, chiefly
applied to Gnetiles.  Shickzah is the feminine of it.
**Intoxicated with drink.
(OED has 1892 for "shiksah," from someone named Zangwill--ed.)

Pg. 82:  ...galuth*...
*Exile and captivity.

Pg. 89:  _Anwalt_*...
*_Anwalt_ is the German equivalent for an attorney.

Pg. 128:  "A Jehudah?"* at last inquired Levi, almost repreaochfully.
*A Jew.
(OED has 1823 for "Yahudi," but not "Jehudah"--ed.)

Pg. 175:  "Anything will do--Pfefferkuchen* if you like," growled the other.
*Literally, Gingerbread.

Pg. 194:  ...Machsor*...
*The Jewish prayer-book.

Pg. 211:  ..."Neshomah Chappers"*...
*Literally, soul-catchers...

NEBBISH

STORIES OF JEWISH HOME LIFE
by S. N. Mosenthal
Philadelphia: The Jewish Publication Society of America
1907

   I'll post Glossary entries, for whoever's interested.

Pg. 385:
   GLOSSARY

ARBA-KANFES.  Lit. "four corners." ...
AYIN HORA.  The evil eye.
BAR-MITZVAH...
BENSH GOMEL.  TO pronounce a blessing for escape from danger.
BOLES (Ger. ?).  A sort of cake.
BROCHE.  A benediction.
CHAMMER.  Ass; donkey.
CHEN.  Grace.
CHEVRE.  Society.
CHEVRE KADDISHE...
CHOSEN.  Bridegroom.
CHUPPE.  Marriage canopy.
DARSHEN.  To exdpound homiletically.
GAN-EDEN.  Paradise.
GOY (pl. GOYIM).  A non-Jew.
GROSCHEN (Ger.).  A small coin.
GULDEN (Ger.).  A florin.
HALLEL.  Lit. "praise." ...
HELLER (Ger.).  A small coin.
JUDENGASSE (Ger.).  Jews' Street.
JUDENSHUL (Ger.).  Synagogue.
KALLE.  Bride; affianced.
KIDDUSH...
KIDDUSH HA-SHEM...
KILLE.  Jewish congregation; Jewish community.
KOSHER.  Ritually permitted.
LEB (Ger. LEBEN).  Dear, my love; my life.
(Pg. 386--ed.)
LECHO DODI.  Lit. "Come, my beloved." ...
LO KOM. ...
LUACH.  Calendar.
MATZOS.  Unleavened bread.
MAZEL.  Luck.
MENUVELTE.  A homely, ungainly girl.
MESHORES.  Assistant; servant.
MINCHA.  Afternoon service.
MINYAN.  A company of ten men, the minimum for a public service.
MITZVE.  Duty, command; charity; the fulfilment of a command.
MOSHES RABBENI.  Moses our teacher.
MUHMLE (Ger.).  Diminutive of MUHME.  Aunt; cousin.
NEBBICH (Slavic).  An expression of pity or sympathy.  Poor thing!  Alas!
Too bad!
NIGUN.  Traditional chant.
OMEN VE-OMEN.  Amen and Amen.
OVINU MALKENU...
PARNESS.  The head of a congregation; the president.
PASKEN.  To decide according to the Rabbinic law.
PESACH.  Passover.
PURIM.  The Feast of Esther.
RAV.  Officiating rabbi.
REB.  Mr.
REBBETZIN.  Wife of a rabbi.
REICHSTHALEN (Ger.).  A dollar, the unit of currency.
ROSHE.  A malicious person; an Anti-Semite.
SCHLEMIHLTE.  Feminine form of SCHLEMIHL.
SCHNAPPESCHEN (Ger.).  A "drop" of whisky.
SCHNORR (ger.).  To beg.
SCHNORRER (Ger.).  Beggar.
SECHIE.  Advantage; privilege; joy.
SECHUS.  Merit; privilege.
SEDER...
SHABBES.  Sabbath.
SHABUOS.  Pentecost.
SHADCHONIM (pl.).  Marriage brokers.
SHAMMES.  Verger; beadle; sexton.
SHEM YISHMERENU.  The Lord preserve us!
SHEMA YISROEL.  Hear, O Israel!
SHICKSEL (Ger. suffix).  Drastic expression for a non-Jewish girl.
SHIDDECH.  Betrothal; an arranged match.
(Pg. 387--ed.)
SHIR HA-MAALOS.  Lit. "Song of the Degrees." ...
SHIVE.  Lit. "seven."  The seven days of mourning immediately after a death
occurs in a family.
SHMUES.  Hearsay; talk based on rumor.
SHTUSS.  Nonsense; folly.
SHUL (Ger. SCHUL).  Synagogue.
SIDDUR.  Prayer-book.
SIDDURL (Ger. suffix).  Diminutive of SIDDUR.
SUCCOS.  Feast of Tabernacles.
TACHSHID.  Jewel; ornament.
TEFILLIN.  Phylacteries.
THALER (Ger.).  Dollar.
TISH BE-AV...
TORAH...
TORAS MOSHE.  The Law of Moses.
TREIFES.  Ritually unfit for food.
TRENDERL (Ger.).  A sort of top, amde for children especially on Chanuccah.
UNBERUFEN (Ger.).  _Absit omen!_
UNBESCHRIBEN (Ger.).  _Absit omen!_
YEVORECHECHO.  (The Lord) bless thee!
YIDDE (Ger.).  Jews.