route

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sun Jun 23 15:03:31 UTC 2002

Prof. R. Sussex wrote:
>I am trying to check if the root/raut pronunciation or "route" lines
>up with the Mason-Dixon Line. Is this correct?

You couldn't prove it by me. I grew up in the  1960's in the New York City
suburbs (well north of the Mason-Dixon line), and I grew up absolutely
confused as to which pronunciation was "right". It wasn't like "soda" vs
"pop", where I knew both pronunciations but was sure that "soda" was right
and "pop" was an interloper. It was more like "dived" vs "dove", where I
knew both pronunciations and was so confused that I resorted to
circumlocution to avoid committing myself to one or the other.

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963