Jack Buck's "That's a winner!"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jun 23 20:37:27 UTC 2002

At 11:25 AM -0500 6/19/02, Elaine -HFB- Ashton wrote:

>I grew up in St. Louis with Jack Buck. He had the most unmistakable voice
>in broadcasting and radio will be less without him.
>[quoting some obituary:]
>  >From the 1985 World Series he is often remembered for the "Go Crazy Folks,
>Go Crazy!" jubilant cry at the game and series winning home run.

Can anyone clarify this reference for me?  First of all, it was
Kansas City that won that series (and the Cardinals that lost), and I
suspect Buck was enough of a homer [in the 'subjective', not
'four-bagger' sense] not to have exulted quite that jubilantly at the
result.  Second, the series-deciding 7th game was something like 9-0
(Saberhagen pitching the shutout), so there was no 'game and series
winning home run'.  Perhaps the playoffs (NLCS) preceding the series,
when the Cards beat the Dodgers on Jack Clark's homer, IIRC?

larry