intervocalic voicing of fricatives

Dale Coye Dalecoye at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 25 13:33:27 UTC 2002

I think I commented a few years ago that Joseph is going the other way-- it
was always /z/ in the old days, but many young people here in NJ and I've
heard it from Californians too, now have /s/.   I think Jerusalem may have
been /z/ too according to some older dictionaries (100 years ago).
        I also reported in an AS article a while back on a very complicated
regional pattern for 'houses'--the noun plural, which can show either /s/ or
/z/ for both final and medial fricative all over the US.

Dale Coye
The College of NJ