IBM ad

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Jun 26 21:29:13 UTC 2002

I was going through my Chicago Tribune this morning when I opened up a two
page spread for an IBM ThinkPad ad. My eyes passed over the text on the
left and moved to the person sitting just to the right of center, amid
shelves with lots of books. My first thought was, "Gee, he looks
familiar!", but assumed I had seen the ad before, or at least the model.
Then I looked back at the text on the left (since my glimpse of it
suggested there was a pronunciation and/or a definition embedded in it).
Imagine my surprise! The quote was from Jesse Sheidlower! This is the first
time I have ever seen someone in an ad I actually knew!

Barbara Need
UChicago--Linguistics