route : /rawt/ vs /ruwt/

Fri Jun 28 13:37:56 UTC 2002

I've heard and used both pronunciations throughout my
life...prefer <root> myself (same as <ruwt>?), but it
is more context sensitive than an absolute rule...Ever
heard the song "..get your kicks on <root> 66"?  Just
doesn't work with <rawt> or <raewt>.

Reminds me of a friend from OK who kept refering to
men working a "tower".  It took me a while to figure
he was saying what I pronounce as <toor>, as in tour
of duty; the men were working a tour, a shift.

=====