An initial 4A N2...?

Fri Jun 28 19:26:47 UTC 2002

In a message dated 6/28/2002 2:50:35 PM, lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK writes:

<< Indeed, when I was in the 3rd grade, a classmate (I'm tempted to name and
shame!) told me to write down her phone number, 7734 (in my town, you
didn't have to tell people the prefix, since there was only one).  So I
did, on my spelling book, and she turned it upside down and said "look, you
wrote a bad word, I'm going to go tell Mrs Nelson".   Once she got to the
teacher's desk, she merely asked to go to the lavatory, but I nearly died
of anxiety-induced heart attack in those few seconds. >>

In my high-school in the 1950s, one of the cheers was "Wilson, Wilson [name
of opposing team] go to 7-7-3-4-upside down"! I know, it is hard to believe
that the USA was THAT euphemistic less than 50 years ago.