Sourdoughs, Alaska Strawberries, and SOS (Salmon on a Shingle)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jun 30 01:23:56 UTC 2002

ALASKA SOURDOUGH
by Ruth Allman (1905-1989--ed.)
192 pages, paperback, $10.95
Anchorage: Alaska Northwest Books
1976
Fifteen reprinting, 1999

   I don't know what the next DARE has for "sourdough."  Alaskans are
"sourdoughs."  It's also a term for someone who has "soured" on Alaska and
doesn't have the "dough" to leave.

Pg. 161:
   "Alaska Strawberries"
   The old Alaskan prospector facetiously tried to kid himself into enjoying
his monotonous diet of pay-streak bacon and beans-beans-beans.  He called
them: Alaska Strawberries. (...)
   Many a cheechako (newcomer) could not understand when they ordered _Alaska
Strawberries_, the waiter served a plate of _Beans_!
(I haven't yet checked DARE, RHHDAS, MOA databases for "Alaska
strawberry"--ed.)

LIFE'S A FISH AND THEN YOU FRY:
AN ALASKA SEAFOOD COOKBOOK
by Randy Bayliss
210 pages, paperback, $16.95
Anchorage: Alaska Nortwest Books
2002

Pg. 60:
   _S. O. S.: Salmon on a Shingle_
   This dish feeds huge quantities of folks for breakfast.  Make mass amounts
of white sauce...
(A tourist guide said that salmon is known as "the money fish"--ed.)

(OT:  Off to Valdez tomorrow.)