Banoffee Pie; Tuatara ("living fossil")

Benjamin Fortson fortson at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Mar 1 18:00:35 UTC 2002

The tuatara is called a living fossil because it is the last of the
rhynchocephalians, an ancient order or reptiles that arose well over 200
million years ago and had its heyday in the Triassic Period, if I remember
correctly. All the other rhynchocephalians have been extinct for over 100
million years.
        Yes, I know this doesn't pertain to dialects, but since it came
up...

Ben