Bungy & Oxford University

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 2 01:19:40 UTC 2002

   Maybe I can pray for rain...What does one say?  "Geronimo!"??
   According to www.AJ Hackett.com, it started in the Pacific Island of Vanuatu.  The Oxford University Dangerous Sports Club went bungy jumping in the 1970s.  How would I gets cites of this for the OED?
   Taupo Bungy (www.taupobungy.com) has a baptism:

   "The baptism" involves using computer technology to caluculate the bungy rope setting allowing a jumper to make contact with the water.

   "Swoop," "Zorb," and "Agrojet" are also available in Queenstown.

MISC.

   I was told that "Tim Tams" are like "Oreo" or "Thermos."  Some other NZ items:

JANDALS--rubber thongs.  Again, "Jandal" is discouraging generic use of its name.
BUZZY BEE--this made a NZ postage stamp, but had a trademark symbol by it.
BUSH SHIRT--the third NZ product in the postage stamp series.  I haven't checked OED.

FREEPHONE--for 800 numbers; usually "toll free" in the states.

JUST THE DUCK'S NUTS--name of a backpacker place here.  There is a drawing with it that, well....