highball

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sun Mar 3 20:59:11 UTC 2002

     Yes, I should have typed 1895 instead of 1885 for Barry's
antedating of OED's 1898 attestation (I must have been tired.) But I
still can't locate his message with the antedating.

    Also, FWIW, there's another meaning of "highball" (not in OED);
it's a type of carnival game; cf. _San Francisco Chronicle_, Oct. 26,
1965, p.4, col. 1;  "Words and Music" by Dean Wallace; in reference
to state fairs and carnivals, he says:
  "...the 'Highball,' as carnies call it, that platform with the tower
where you hit a lever with a sledge-hammer and ring a bell at the
top,..."

     Of course, if this carnie "highball" game has any relevance to
the start of "highball" (the drink), we'd need evidence that the
carnie highball preceded the name of the drink. And that's an open
question.

    Whoever invented the drink-term "highball" might have first heard
this term somewhere else (railroad? poker? carnies?) and then applied
the non-alcoholic term to the drink due the high glass it was served
in.

     Many other drink-names were also first used in a non-alcoholic
setting, e.g. "screwdriver," "bloody Mary."

---Gerald Cohen