River Names, 16th Cent

carljweber carljweber at MSN.COM
Sun Mar 3 22:18:25 UTC 2002

Re: River Names, 16th Cent

Carl Jeffrey Weber
Café Nouvelle France
Alliance Francaise
Chicago (USA)

Thierry Bulot
Directeur de la collection Espaces Discursifs (L'Harmattan)
UMR CNRS 6065 Dyalang / Université de Rouen (France)

Dear Mr. Bulot,

I was happy a year ago to communicate with you, through my friend Christian
Melka, director of language studies at the Alliance Francaise. I would like
to request your help with a few ancient verbs across various ancient
Franco/Iberian languages. Your lessons in Cauchois phonology on your
Cauchois website helped me make a major advance based on the French/Cauchois
duplet "chou/cou."

Here in Chicago, Louis the 14th was once our king. Every day I walk across
the bridge of the river LaSalle navigated in his barque in the early 1680s.
You are a professor at the university in LaSalle's home city of  Rouen, and
the leading authority on historical Normande/Cauchois. I discovered
documentation (letter and map) that LaSalle popularized the name "Checagou"
and literally put it on the map. My critics seem to have accepted this role
of LaSalle I onfolded. I am arguing the origin of "Chicago," and several
other toponyms, here in the center of North America, thought to have been of
Amerindian origin, are better understood to be European - fashioned from the
various languages of France and Iberia.

++++++++++++++++++

A large favor I need for my work is help with finding the principal parts of
ancient verbs, as might on 16th and 17th century maps be used. The roots of
these words, though related to water, were used to name rivers, provinces,
peoples, towns, lakes, etc. Not overwhelmingly, just bold and at the
important places.

The verbs I'm working with are French "s'ecouler," "couler," and "choir,"
with a particular interest in the past participle of "choir." One more word,
Iberian "saguar." What are the ancient verbs' principal parts in French,
Normande/Cauchois, Spanish (Castilian), Catalan, Portuguese, and Galego. One
Latinate word eludes me altogether regarding what its morphology might be:
"Chiogigua," clearly the name of a mighty mythical river in the late 1500s
emptying into the North Sea. For a great shot, see:
(Click year 1593) http://www2.biblinat.gouv.qc.ca/cargeo/accueil.htm

Thank you for your interest in my work and for what assistance you might
provide me.

Best Regards,
Carl Jeffrey Weber
Café Nouvelle France