The Big Apple

Tue Mar 5 14:01:46 UTC 2002

--- Gerald Cohen <gcohen at UMR.EDU> wrote:
>    There is no evidence that Aqueduct Racetrack was
> ever referred to
> as "The Big Apple."

John J. Fitz Gerald's stable hand may have been
referring to New York in general, or specifically to
Aqueduct - how did Fitz Gerald know?  'The Big Apple'
need not have been general lingo for Aqueduct; that
one man - that one stable hand from whom Fitz Gerald
got the phrase - may have been referring to Aqueduct
specifically, to Aqueduct as representative of all the
New York tracks, or to the race tracks as a group.
Fitz Gerald made an assumption and simply used the
phrase as it served him best, but there is little
likelihood we'll ever know what the stable hand
specifically meant.

=====