highball--an unclear meaning

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Mar 5 21:55:33 UTC 2002

   In a 4 Nov. 2000 ads-l message Barry Popik presented various quotes
from the _Los Angeles Free Press_, 1965-1966, one of which includes a
slang use of "highball." But I don't find an appropriate meaning of
this word in _HDAS_ and
I'm not sure exactly what the term designates. (It seems to refer to
a naive person. Is there some connection here with "highball" and
"eyeball"?).
    Is anyone familiar with this? Here's the relevant excerpt from
Barry's message:

>10 September 1965, LAFP, pg. 6, col. 3--The set, the Greenwich Village
>  apartment of Nora, a "square-eyed 'highball'" ("What's that?" "Baby, if you
>  knew what it was, you wouldn't be a highball.")....

---Gerald Cohen